Sunday, April 6, 2008

Remembering My Grandma Jolley

My dad's Mother passed away on March 26th, 2008. She lived to be 89. What a life she lived, from being born in the era of transportation by horse and buggy and the use of outhouses; to the era of Internet, computers, and men on the moon.

She had 5 children on her own, then she adopted 4 more. My dad was one of the adopted ones, along with his brother.

For the passed few years, my grandma has been having blood transfusions every six months, due to her red blood count. They started there, and eventually she needed them as close as 3 weeks to survive. Finally, she decided, she didn't want to have them anymore.

I was on an emotional roller coaster for 2 weeks, not knowing what was going to happen, and when and if. I am sure everyone in the family was on the same ride I was on. It was hard, but it made the passing not so hard to accept, knowing it was going to eventually happen soon.

I was blessed to have her in my life, and I only wished we were closer, and could of had a closer relationship my whole life, and not just these passed 5 years.

When we went to the funeral, there were some pictures of everyone and their kids, and families, and this one just touched me so much. It is a picture of My Grandparents, and my mom, my sister and me...I am the baby in my Grandma's arms. I was so moved by this picture, not only are both my Grandparent's in it...and my Grandma is holding me...but the fact that now I have a picture of myself as a baby...I know, weird huh...but my mom didn't take any of me when I was little, so I am going to cherish this picture for many reasons!

It was always hard to fit in the Jolley side of the family after my parent's got a divorce. We left town, and my mom made it hard for us to be tracked down. But after about 10 years of being hidden...my dad's brother found us, and ever since then, I have stayed in contact with my dad's side of the family. It has been great to meet my cousin's, and my aunt's and uncles, and most importantly to rebuild a relationship with my Grandparents. Family means so much to me, and knowing that I am apart of such an awesome one...means even more. I love the Jolley side, they are great! I only hope to continue to build my relations with them, as I did with my Grandma! I love you Grandma...Rest In Peace!

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Sorry about your loss. But how wonderful it is to have the knowledge that you will be able to see your Grandma Jolley again and to be able to continue your relationship. I love that we were raised to know that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father and see those that died before us. I love the picture, you are a beautiful baby. I believe that your Mom was doing the best that she knew and making choices that she thought would be in the best intrest for her children. It is amazing how choices can effect so many people, I love reading your blog and cant wait to see next weeks pictures.

Tam said...

Beautiful post.

Gloria said...

Sending our love and sympathy with the lost of one who was important. It is a great comfort to know there is a life after this one. Life goes on and families can be together forever is a great comfort and isn't it great to have a Savior who has made this all possible! love you and appreciate your expessions of love for family members. Stay being as special as you are.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It is definitely hard! I'm glad you had a relationship with your grandma before she died and how wonderful you are continuing the relationship with your dad's side. Like you say family is so very important and I am so happy for you!